Saturday, September 5, 2009

Osushi & Karokeing ....Again!

Ohayou Gozaimasu Mina~san,

(good morning all) So last night being my last night in the Seminar House with the other international kids I decided to go out on the town with about 24 others and go raid Kappa Sushi the local yet not so local sushi diner. We walked another 25 minutes passing up rice patties and bats flying so low that it freaked me out every time I saw one of them plummeting towards my head. I know they aren't after me, however it just freaks me out. My new friend Conner suavely offered the scientific explanation on why this is so: the bugs are lower because of this damn heat and so the bats have to fly lower to eat 'em. Awesome.

On the way to Kappa Sushi we passed many locals and some of them looked quite frightened. A whole group of 25 gaijin walking down a shady street.... yeah I would have been freaked out too. The restaurant was little and when going in I had gotten in the way of a local lady and I said sumimasen meaning either sorry or excuse me. She looked at me and gave me the most horrible death glare ever. I was taken aback. Usually when I say something to a local they warm up to me a whole lot more. And then I realized what I said....maybe she took my sumimasen as a SUMI-MAAAAASEN...if you get my drift. I probably should have said gomenasai meaning I'm very sorry. And then I realized, well I am with a huge group of gaijin that are about to take over half the restaurant and she thinks that this many people are obnoxious. Whatever.

While at Kappa Sushi I feel like I totally know what I am doing. HUGE shout out to Kim for this. I totally told everyone all about us Kim and how when we go to sushi we have no shame. I tried to introduce the no shame policy, however I don't think a lot of them were having it. I was. hahah I stacked about 7 little plates of sushi high and then 2 dessert plates (don't worry Dad, I only had one dessert and one humongous piece of cantaloupe). Other gaijin had like only 3 plates and I'm like huh? That's not enough! So....as I really didn't know the price of my plates...I just stopped at 9. I restrained myself from eating another 9 so I wouldn't look so out of place. So I guess I will put the 'no shame' policy on fully for next time. Because there will be a next time at this place. All that sushi that I just ate cost...$10.50. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT? That is NOTHING compared to Kim and Ashlee's sushi escapades. We stack 'em high! Hahah....I think if I decide to open a sushi restaurant that is going to be our slogan. HAHA!

As we were about to leave Kappa Sushi I decided to talk it up with some of the locals about the huge full moon. They were impressed and we talked for a couple of minutes. I like doing that.

After we left Kappa Sushi we went again to Big Wave Karoke & Bar all the way on the OTHER side of town. It was fun and interesting to be in a room full of now 18 gaijin trying to dance and sing. It was god fun all over again. We did it for an hour this time and then walked back to our houses. That was pretty much the night.

Now I get to meet my host family today! I am nervous and excited. I hope they are nice and everything goes alright...

Jyamata ne!

~Ashlee

No comments:

Post a Comment