Monday, September 7, 2009

Classes & Life Lessons Start! Yay!~


Konbanwa Mina~san! (Good evening everyone!)
So yesterday I met my host family, the Umemoto Family (or as Okaasan tells me the Cherry-book family hahhaha). I have an otousan (father), an okaasan (mother), an onesan (sister- Erika) and a oniisan (brother- Kentaro). I was so nervous yesterday before meeting my family.... I thought I was going to pass out. I know it was really silly of me to be like that however, I couldn't help it- I was moving out of the Seminar House that I loved so much. I had made many ryugakusei (international student) friends in this house and I had just settled into life there. Then yesterday I had to move all over again and it somewhat felt like how I felt arriving in Japan for the first time-chaotic and panicky.
In the waiting room for the students who were waiting to meet with their new host families for the first time Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro) was available in order to comfort our worries and nervous jitters. Totoro always does that for me. Thank you, Hayao Miyazaki! I met many other ryugakusei who felt very onajii (similar) to how I was feeling- nervous beyond belief.
Okaasan was the one to come meet with a faculty member of the CIE (to act as a mediator and translator) and me. She's a little thing, but still full of life and energy and carries a good spirit. One of the first things she said to me was OOKII DESU NE! (You are big!!) hahah....I laughed and agreed with her. She seemed pretty pleased with my Japanese. Which was good....one of my main concerns was being able to communicate with the family. My rough Japanese and my weird but helpfully funny facial expressions, sounds, and hand gestures.
We went through the contract with Mr. Suzuki and then we met Otousan downstairs. I have realized that Okaasan's English is pretty good. She knows a lot! And so does Erika. Which is good and they still want me to use as much Japanese as I can....which is what I want to do too. I was greeted with open arms and a will to communicate from all ends of the spectrum.
After saying farewell to my friends at the seminar house and picking up my heavy bags, Otousan, Okaasan and I drove to Kisaichi area of Katano City which is about 5 miles south of Hirakata-shi where Kansai Gaidai is located. We arrived at the house which is HUGE and amongst awesome AWESOME yama (mountains) with takusan (many many) trees. I mean, this place is definitely kirei (beautiful). I sorta feel like I am in a setting of a Miyazaki film. (If you have not seen ANY Hayao Miyazaki films, I suggest you do. NOW.) We step in the house and it is really nice and I am showed to my room. My room, is not JUST a room. This room, people, is a traditional Japanese 6 tatami mat room. This meaning that it is probably the most special room of them all. There are sliding doors with cloth painting on them of nature and such, tatami mats, a delicate futon and two beautiful geiko ningyou (Geiko dolls....geisha in Kyoto actually prefer the term geiko meaning 'child of the arts' ...thank you Eyewitness Travel Guidebook...) that I am not AT ALL allowed to touch. I will not. I am too afraid to break anything in here. I will post pictures soon.
Our first meal together we had eel in rice with carrots and vinegar all mixed into one. It was actually really good and they were impressed that I liked eel. haha... We all talked a lot and got to know each other better. I am really grateful to the Umemotos for making me feel very much at home away from home. This morning Okaasan took me for my alien registration and to buy my commuters pass at the train station. She also showed me around and how to get to Kansai Gaidai from Hirakata-shi eki (station). She's so nice. All of them really are.
Today, classes started and I had two which were Japanese Popular Media & Culture and Shinto. Of course, I was totally in my glory- I love class. That's a shout out specifically to Emily Meyers and to all those who also love class. However, today was an important day for me. I realized for maybe the first real time, what it is like when you can get frustrated with not being able to communicate clearly at the level you would wish. I was trying to see if I could reserve a cell phone and the people could not speak English and I realized that I don't really have a lot of verbs memorized and well....you get the picture.
I just want to say that I fully appreciate and now I truly know how difficult it is to communicate to someone when you don't know their native language. A shout out goes to Joon and to all my international friends and anyone who goes to school or lives somewhere where that country's language is not their own. You guys are so brave. I commend you in your constant effort of speaking in a foreign tongue.
Speaking a language is so important....so much more than words. Today, I can say was the first time I was really frustrated with myself....I could not imagine going through that alone as many of my friends had to when they began their study in the United States. I had a moment today when I felt a strong disappointment in myself and my abilities in the Japanese language. I have been studying for 2 years and still I feel like I have forgotten all important grammar and vocabulary.
Then I had another moment today. I realized that I do know a lot. And that I should be frustrated to a point. Because that is when you stop and think "wow, I am just sitting here complaining about this when I can be taking actions to better my situation". Also, I realized that I really am not alone. I have a lot of support from many facets of my life. And it is something with your Otousan, whom you are only supposed to speak Japanese to makes an effort to speak English- by examining your Japanese-English dictionary in a will to communicate a point to you. Thank you, host Otousan.
As the Japanese say, gambatte kudasai (carry on and work hard) Gambatte, indeed.
Love to You All!
~アシュレー

3 comments:

  1. hold your head up high. ashlee.

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deary, it's going to be frustrating. But in all seriousness, that's what you're there for! It's a learning process, and you're still a pupil. And I'm glad you realized that instead of dwelling you decided to fix the problem. Which is how life should be. Let that frustration fuel you to figure out what you need to work on. Don't be so hard on yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! Your house looks AWESOME! I want to go there!

    ReplyDelete