Wednesday, November 4, 2009

wOah!~ Long time!


Konbanwa Minna-san,

So I realize that it has been WAY too long since I wrote last.  I got caught up with mid-terms and all that hullabaloo.  I am still pretty busy and things but I just felt like writing a little post to let you all know that I am indeed still alive and having a good time.  Some things that I hope to write more on include:

*Peace Trip to Hiroshima = pretty much amazing and life-changing.  Saw a genbaku seizosha or an atomic bomb survior and was fortunate enough to listen to her story.

*Miyajima Island = I made it to the Great Torii, people.  It was fantastic and I was able to eat kaki udon or oyster udon which was sooooo good.  Can't you see a theme running through my trip?  hahah

*Nara National Museum with the host family = went all together with my host family to the Sennsoshin Art Exhibit and it was actually pretty cool.  When in Nara, I was also approached by some kids in an English group who were going around celebrating Halloween like a week early.  It was cute and amusing when one of the kids was afraid to ask me stuff and his mom tried coaxing him into it...I didn't know I was THAT intimidating... I just found it adorable actually.

*Shinsaibashi/Osaka with Shinya~san = I finally got to hang out with my speaking partner Shinya.  He's a pretty cool guy.  Had some takoyaki (octopus with fried dough around it = deliciousness) on a stick, looked for a purse but found nothing and ate at a Yoshinoya which is a cheap restaurant thing that has awesome food.  Oh, and saw where Shinya lives as well as Den Den Town (the Akihabara of Osaka)

*Halloween in the Gaidai = pretty amusing.  I dressed as Pocky Girl/Okashii Girl/Sweets Girl.  I ate all of that myself.  On Friday there was a costume contest and everyone dressed up then.  It was a fun day and my friend Pat-chan and I took our friend Ivy out for her birthday along with about 12-15 other people.  We went to an Izakaya called Torikizoku where we did nomihodai which was pretty much ....the best thing ever.  ^_^  After we all went up the stairs to a joint called Ring or as the Japanese say, Ringu we sung our hearts out at karaoke and it was awesome.  The next day I was planning on going to a club, but it did not work out and I actually spent my Halloween in my room.  I watched The Craft, craved candy corn and any kind of candy at all, and pondered my life.  Fun stuff. I did this to only discover the next week that pretty much like a bunch of my other friends ended up doing the same thing and feeling a bit homesick themselves.  Go figure!  I am still planning on watching Hocus Pocus with my dear friend Scott....

*Trip with Okaasan around Kisaichi and Katanoshi for Japanese Culture stuff = saw Nihon buyou or traditional Japanese dance, participated in a tea ceremony where my legs almost needed to be amputated by the time I was done since I pretty much couldn't feel them any more....and saw lovely ikebana or traditional flower arranging.  Overall, a nice venture.

*November 3rd- National Culture Day = Nikki, Pauline, Mara and I went to Kyoto to the Golden Pavilion.  It was awesome and really cold.  It was so beautiful.  I threw a coin into a small pot and got it in....and after this a bunch of Chinese girls turned around and asked if they could touch me....I am really a lucky girl!  Also, we went to Gion which is famous for the geisha or geiko.  From November 1-10 of every year, Gion Odori or the Dances in Gion at Kaikan Theater are held where the maiko and geiko perform.  I am going to try my darndest to go on Sunday.  I am determined to see them.  Hopefully I will be able to wear my yukata to these so I look decent....

Well....that's pretty  much all I can write for now.  I have to go do some research on Mizuki Shigeru the author of GeGe no Kitaro a famous manga that I have to write a paper on.  Until next time!

Jya mata ne~*

Ashlee

No comments:

Post a Comment